Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Sweet Sacrifice (A Story of Lent)

Today is Mardi Gras...Fat Tuesday! I'm going out tonight to celebrate. 


But not that way!   ;)

For those of you who don't know, tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent, which is a time of sacrifice in many Christian traditions. "Fat Tuesday" is the last day before many people give up something they love to represent the sacrifice made by Jesus. The name of the day refers to the practice of gorging oneself before being deprived for 40 days. 

I've never given much thought to Lent before, as it's not something my denomination focuses on. This year, however, I'm making my own sacrifice. I'll spend more time in prayer, more time focusing on things that truly matter, more time resisting temptation. 

I'm giving up chocolate. I cringe just typing the words. Spring is the time for my favorite Easter candy.


Goodbye, my chocolatey friends! I'll see you in 40 days!

Even if you don't observe Lent, spend some time in prayer and meditation this spring!



Total Pageviews