Sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes life brings unexpected curveballs. Sometimes life does not go by your schedule. But sometimes...all of those things are worth it.
I realize lately how very blessed I am. Thinking back on my past, it's a miracle I've survived. I've been through a lot of things in the past 10 years, but I've learned many worthwhile lessons.
These are the top 10 lessons I've learned since 2001:
10. Procrastination causes more problems than I ever imagined. ("Case study due tomorrow? I'll proofread, polish, and print it in the morning." NOT.)
9. Complaining solves nothing. It annoys those around you and wastes valuable time.
8. You feel and do "well." Everything else is "good." Example: I do not feel well. He plays the saxophone well. The sunshine feels good. Banana pudding tastes good. Get it?
7. It's okay to be angry. However, anger does not give you the right to be callous.
6. Sing. Even if you do it poorly, it will make you happy.
5. Motivation is rare. Take it when it comes!
4. Life is best when it's lived simply. Don't worry about the things you don't have. Focus on your blessings. You don't need as much money, as much stuff, as you think.
3. Friends will come and go, and that's okay. Everyone is put in your life for a reason. Make it a good one.
2. Put down the phone! It's okay to pay attention to the people around you. In fact, it's rude if you don't.
1. Stop trying. There is no "try," right? You either do or you don't.
For more life lessons, check out the weekly writing prompts over at Mama Kat's.