Thursday, February 3, 2011

If You're Anything Like Me

 Mama's Losin' It




This week, one of Mama Kat's writing prompts just stuck with me. "A letter to your future teen." Hmm...I may not have kids, but I have teenage youth members and teenage students. It's almost like a warm-up for my own teenagers. One day, the hubs and I do plan on having kids (probably not quickly enough for my mom).  They'll be cute, right? Hopefully they'll have big brown eyes and a curly blonde afro. And then...they'll grow up.
When that day comes, this letter will serve as a reminder to me my kid that the hubs and I aren't as bad as we seem.

Dear Teen Trent, 

Right now, you're in the throes of your teen years, and you've come to the realization that you're officially the smartest person in our house. That's okay. You also know that Momma ALWAYS has something to say...so here we go.

 If, God forbid, you're anything like me, you're constantly rolling your eyes. Your dad HATES that. Try not to do it in front of him. I'll be more understanding, but I'll probably roll mine right back. We'll both try to be a little more patient. 

If you're anything like me, you're very sarcastic. I'll understand that kind of humor; your dad will understand that kind of humor. Not everyone out there will. Be aware of other people and their feelings. 

If you're anything like me, you're slightly moody. It's really easy to let your emotions control you, but don't take out your frustration on those closest to you. They may not always be there. 

If you're anything like me, you'll feel insecure. Just know that these two old people who live in your house love you more that you'll ever know. God loves you, too, and he loves every little thing about you, even when Mom and Dad are at their wit's end. 

If you're anything like me, you want to fit it. Don't try too hard. I spent a lot of my early years trying too hard to be someone I wasn't. Be a little more like your dad...be friendly, be genuine, be kind. That's really all you need. 

If you're anything like me, your nose is always stuck in a book. It's great to read and to love to read, but spend a little more time with those around you. Learn and grow from books, but at the end of the day, focus your attentions on those you love. 

If you're anything like me, you'll have your entire life planned carefully. Throw away the map! Your life will take twists and turns, and that's fine. Enjoy the ride. 

Love,

Future Momma Trent





2 comments:

Emma@christmascupboard said...

What a Fab letter to your future Teen! Really enjoyed reading that...Lovely! Thanks for stopping by...Love you blog x

Angie said...

Great letter Danielle!

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews