Thursday, January 27, 2011

How Do You Sleep?

Lately, I find myself thinking, dwelling on all the things wrong with the world. I read the New York Times and find an article about the latest suicide bombing or watch the local news and hear about a another man murdering his own father. My initial thought is, "That's terrible...killing innocent people. How do they sleep at night?"

It's so easy to find faults in others. In fact, it seems that I've spent 25 years perfecting the habit.

I read a quote today that made me think a little deeper, a little more personal.

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”. -Maya Angelou

Are there people who are sitting at home right now, brooding over how I've treated them in the past. Is there someone less than 5 miles away holding in bitterness because of something I've done? 

GASP! Could there soon be a scathing blog post about moi

The older I get, the more comfortable I am with myself. I know that I'm not perfect (I know, I know...it's shocking!), but I know that I am a work in progress. I am slightly anti-social, practical, and hopelessly obsessive-compulsive, but I'm living in the present.

 The past is behind me, and it can't be changed. All that matters is that I handle things the best way I can; I must make the most of the life I have before me. 

 "For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness. 

 For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. 
 For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. 
 For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day. 
 For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. 
 People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. 
 As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others." 

For those of you wondering, "How does she sleep at night?"

On my side, curled up with my dog, and the duvet pulled up over my head.       :)


Total Pageviews