Monday, November 15, 2010

Don't Worry Baby

This week my goal is to worry less about the things I can't control. I'm a worrier, plain and simple. When things take a turn for the worse, I worry. When everything is going just as planned, I worry.
I had dinner with one of my best friends last week. We spent some time talking about some of the things we worry about. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. More than half of the things we worry about will never happen. I like to think that I'm being responsible and making sure I'm prepared for any mishap that does fall my way. Truthfully, I'm just telling God that I've got things handled on my own, and I don't need His help. 

Oops. That wasn't the message I wanted to send. 



According to Craig Groeschel, "Worry is the result of trying to carry a burden that never belonged on our shoulders. If we...make this attempt, we're admitting we don't actually trust God. In our minds, our God is too small, and we must come to our own rescue." That does not mean that it's acceptable for me to sit on my sofa day after day to wait for God to answer my prayers. It is my responsibility to do all I am capable of doing; then I have to trust God to take care of the rest.

 I cannot control the economy; sorry, that one is just out of my reach. Instead of worrying, I need to make sure that my finances are handled responsibly, and God will take care of the rest.

I cannot control when the next tornado will occur. What I can control is how prepared my family and my home are, in case of such a storm.

I cannot control whether or not I get a job next semester. I also cannot waste valuable, precious time worrying about it. I'll prepare my resumes and job packets, but everything else is in God's hands.


"Get on your knees and pray, then get on your feet and work." 

 Gordon B. Hinckley


And then...you give the rest to God. 


He can handle it.           :)

Total Pageviews