Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grumblings of the Discontent

"Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor."
- Benjamin Franklin


Okay, so the rest of our founding fathers were not exactly idiots, but good ol' Ben seems to have hit the nail right on the head.

This morning, I'm driving down the road, dodging traffic and listening to the radio. Suddenly KLOVE is playing a clip with Luci Swindoll (if you don't know who she is, look her up and read her stuff...you won't be disappointed!) speaking about contentment.

ouch.



Yes, yes...I've had feelings of discontent. I've been guilty of wanting more, wanting less, and just wanting NOW. God has blessed me...I know this. However, that doesn't necessarily stop my human nature from rearing its head and telling me that I need more than He has provided.

My focus for this week is going to be the wonderful things God has given me; because guess what...those things are always here, even if I do not acknowledge their presence! Shocker...the world doesn't revolve around me. It's time to change my attitude to reflect the importance of God, the author and perfecter.

I've been looking into contentment and happiness this afternoon, and I found this:


"It is not our circumstances that create our discontent or contentment. It is us."


Just in case my morning experience wasn't enough...God sent me another reminder. My 11 year-old niece and 7 year-old nephew were arguing, and the fight ended in a round of "That's not fair," and "But it's miiiiiiine!" on the part of my nephew. Then my niece burst into song.

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime
You just might find
You get what you need


Now, I don't normally turn to the Rolling Stones for words of wisdom or advice, but this couldn't have come at a more appropriate time. Thank you, God, Blake, and Mick Jagger for sending me reminders! :)













Total Pageviews